Präsident des World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) äußert sich zum Ausstieg der USA vom Pariser Klimaschutzabkommen.
However, this decision does not change the facts:
- The science of climate change is clear, robust and incontrovertible. A 2-degree
pathway is the only way to preserve safe planetary boundaries for humanity.
- 146 countries have now ratified the Paris Agreement. The Agreement has already
entered into force and provides the right long-term targets for the transition. Business
remains the best implementation partner for governments around the world as they strive to achieve and increase these NDC targets.
- The Paris Agreement provides a safe operating space for business. More than 1,000 frontrunning companies are already taking action on climate change, including in the US, and have re-affirmed their deep commitment to addressing climate change through the implementation of the Paris Agreement.
- The business case for climate action is compelling. Implementing the Paris Agreement will unlock at least $13.5 trillion of economic activity over the next 15 years. The solutions under the Low Carbon Technology Partnerships initiative (LCTPi) alone have the potential to support 25-45 million jobs each year, while targeting 65% of the emissions reductions needed.
- Achieving the UN's Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which include fighting climate change, will unlock US$12 trillion a year across four economic systems by 2030. For the SDGs to be achieved, collaboration will be essential.
- The Paris Agreement shows that transformation towards a low carbon economy is inevitable. This transition will create jobs and determine the future competitive position of companies both in the USA and around the world.
While the pathway to the low-carbon world perhaps now looks more rugged than it was before this announcement, it is nevertheless clearly set out in front of us and it is clear what forward-thinking business can and must do to move down it.
WBCSD remains committed to working with our members to drive the transition to a sustainable world. We will work with you to support those efforts everywhere and to ensure strong, inclusive growth and prosperity for all.
President & CEO, WBCSD